Monday, November 03, 2014

That Damn Wagon

You know... the one we keep falling off of.  

Well, now the cold(ish) weather is back and we're done being irresponsible and are trying to do better about eating.  Since we last spoke, Rik had shoulder surgery which put him out of exercise commission for almost five months, and with it apparently both of our ability to eat healthy.  (To put it mildly, we're on a first name basis with the Dominoes driver.  Well, to be completely honest, with all of them.) and I'm still not cleared from the spine surgeon to work out again.  

A friend of mine tried a diet/eating system called AdvoCare.  She sold me on it when she told me what great results she had.  She's in my age bracket and had the same issues losing weight after 40 that I've had.  So I purchased the program and started my 24-Day Challenge today.  (If you're interested, please send me a private message for more information as I am now a distributor as well).



Rik will again be doing the T25 eating plan.  Both programs focus on portion control, no processed sugar, and healthy meal choices.  Rik's will be high in protein.  Mine will follow the program exactly which requires a 1/2 cup portion of complex carbs, 4-6 oz of lean protein, and 1 c. of vegetables per meal with one meal being replaced with a shake that I purchased with the program.  Since I don't generally eat a big breakfast, I'm using the meal replacement shake for that meal.  

So it's been a full day.  I was a little (I'm lying about the little part) sad about not making my coffee this morning.    

However, the replacement energy type drink that I purchased more than made up for any energy lag, even for a Monday morning.  Gotta say, I was pretty impressed!  I purchased the Watermelon Spark and the Citrus Spark.  This was the watermelon.  It tastes a little bit vitamin-like, but it's good.  And I didn't miss the caffeine that I normally get from my coffee.



So here's the day:

Rik on the T-25 Eating Plan
Breakfast:  1 cup of cooked oatmeal

Morning Snack:  2 hard boiled eggs

Lunch:  2 small pita pockets with homemade egg salad using               Greek yogurt instead of mayo

Dinner:  8 oz Turkey/Hamburger Meatloaf (recipe below)
               1.5 cups steamed broccoli and yellow squash with Butter Buds


Me on the Advocare Eating Plan
Pre-Breakfast:  Three Catalyst supplements
                           Watermelon Spark

Breakfast:  Fiber Drink from the program
                   Vegan Chocolate meal replacement shake blended with
                  1/4 cup fresh raspberries
                  1/4 banana

Morning Snack:  15 Hazelnuts

Lunch:  1 cup cooked barley
              1 cup steamed asparagus
              5 oz. grilled chicken
              Three Catalyst supplements

Afternoon Snack:  1 Granny Smith apple, sliced and baked at 350 degrees
                              sprinkled with 1 packet of Truvia and about 1 tsp of cinnamon

Dinner:  4 oz Turkey/Hamburger Meatloaf (recipe below)
               1 cup steamed broccoli 
              Three Catalyst supplements
              Two OmegaPlex supplements
(I accidentally ate too big a serving of carbs at lunch so I cut them out of dinner)

Evening Snack:  I'm allowed an evening snack, but I'm not sure I'll eat it.  However, just for the sake of thoroughness, its:  
               Chia Seed Pudding using:
                           2 Tbsp Chia seeds
                           5 red raspberries, smooshed
                           1 Medjool date (chopped, placed in hot water, and then blended)
                           1/4 tsp. vanilla
                           3 Tbsp. Coconut milk
                           1/4 cup coconut water

Before Bed:  Three cleanse tablets



Here's the meatloaf recipe.  If you're looking for step-by step with pictures, you can click here for those along with another recipe for meatloaf which is super tasty too.  This one just caters to the no bread (I usually use bread crumbs) that are a requirement on my Advocare eating plan.  

Healthier Meatloaf  
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3/4 of a Granny Smith apple, grated
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/8 cup oat flour 
1/4 cup reduced-sugar ketchup (a bit extra for the top)
1 tsp. Rosemary
1 tsp. Thyme
1/2 tsp. Basil

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees
*Mix all ingredients well and press into a 9 x 9 glass dish.
*Bake for 20-30 minutes until done in the middle.
*Pull the meatloaf out about 10 minutes before it's done and drain it well.  Before putting it back in the oven, lightly coat it with some more ketchup.



So!  I'll keep ya posted.  So far so good.  We're still a bit limited on the working out part, but we're back eating clean.  I'd gained back some of the weight I'd lost originally and found that previous tricks just weren't working like they did the first time.  So this time, I'm saying goodbye to my weekly visit from my friends Ben & Jerry, and my usual Friday trip to Noodles and Company (b'bye Japanese Pan Noodles no shitake) :(  But I've gotta say, it feels good to be eating right again.