Monday, April 07, 2014

One Of Those Weeks

So last week was one of those weeks...if it wasn't overtime, it was something else, and I didn't cook a single dinner last week.  I'm hoping this week is better!  

Here are this weeks' receipts.  I spent a total of 131.22 on food products for the week.  Yah... we were out of a lot of stuff!  


This week at some point we'll plan for White Beans with Rosemary and Caramelized Onion (recipe here), grilled chicken with rice and steamed asparagus that has been my lunch staple for the last few weeks that I want Rik to try because it's super easy for his lunch, and the Turkey Tacos we're having for dinner tonight (recipe here), this time on Napa cabbage leaves instead of the gross tortillas we tried last time (or the absolutely delicious ones from the Mexican bakery down the road that I don't buy because I'll eat them all!).

Here's what it bought:  


This week, we're both tweaking our intake.  Rik is going for more complex carbs as he's still trying to work out the kinks in his new workout plan.  I'm adding more protein, hence the tofu and egg whites.  I did our usual weekend baking, but a shortened version spread out over both days.  Just didn't have the energy this week that I usually have.  

I know that I've talked to many of you as you've struggled through rough spots in your own weight loss and fitness journeys.  I maaaaayyyy be going through one of those myself at the moment.  I'd been working out every day until about 10 days ago when I was exercising and lost all of the feeling in my left leg.  As in, it was completely just gone.   I know I have a few herniated discs from my accident and figured I'd aggravated something.  But after about a week of this coming and going along with other rather alarming symptoms, I decided it was time to see the doc.  He said steroids for 10 days, and then "we'll talk" about surgery. Tomorrow is day 10 and I'm nowhere near ready to have any such talk!  But the fact is, I'm not getting much better.  So we'll see what the spine surgeon says next week.  The hardest part has been not being able to work out and that feeling like all that good progress that I was making is slowly slipping away.  Yes, I realize that's not really how it works.  But still.  I'm a little nuts.  What can I say? :)



I ONLY write this because, from the outside, it can look like this whole working out and being healthy "thing" is easy.  Sure, we've got some things down to a science.  But we struggle too sometimes.  Like everything usually is, this is a temporary setback.  Either I'll end up requiring surgery after which I'll recover and start over again, or I'll be told I can push through the hurt and continue to get stronger now.  Sure, I have my preference as to which outcome that will be!  Frankly, I'd be happy never to have another surgery for the rest of my life.  But it is what it is and we'll get through it like we do everything.  But I want to be honest with you all too: Sometimes it's just plain hard.  :)








In the meantime, since Rik is going for more complex carbs mainly vegetables, I focused more on packing him easy to grab portions. I made him Ziploc bags full of sliced raw veggies along with 1/4 cup portions of low sodium French Onion dip made with Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, put in single small bowls for him to pack in his lunch.






And of course all the grilled meat, then measured out into 6 oz portions and bagged so he knows what to track for his intake.  :)











So, here's to hoping this week brings more meals spent at home and less at restaurants.  To more time moving and less time on the couch.  And to more positive mind space than negative.  Because, ya know, sometimes we all just have one of those weeks.

Talk to ya soon! 

~M