Sunday, March 16, 2014

Healthy People Are Nicer

Yah...I have no idea if the above statement is true, but I sure ran into a lot of nice people today when I was out shopping.  Of course it may have been due to the fact that the sun was out, it wasn't freezing, and there is just a touch of spring in the air!  Or maybe people who care about their bodies really do  care more about others too.  I don't know.  Either way, I had an enoyable hunting/gathering.

Here's our receipts for the week.  We spent $93.49 on food.  And please ignore the "Bkry Cupcake...$2.99" entry.  Yes, I once gain left home without eating, so I got 2 mini cannoli figuring I'd share one with Rik when I got home.  Sadly (for him) they appeared to have been frozen and then thawed and were definitely not crunchy or nearly as as they are fresh.  I knew he wouldn't like them, so I saved him and at them both myself.  I'm a good wife that way.  :D


Here's what it bought.  This week's suggestion from Rik was he wants me to experiment with a vegetable lasagna (as in no noodles), so there are things there for that (recipe hopefully to be posted at some point this week if it turns out!).  He's eating more protein this week, so there are more chicken breasts for that.



And here's tonight's dinner!  I'm really happy with how it turned out.  As in, it isn't one of those dishes that "tastes good for something healthy".  It just tasted good!  Had I not told him, Rik would never have known it was a healthy version of one of his favorite meals.

Beef Stroganoff You Wouldn't Guess is Healthy

1/2 lb. Lean steak cut into strips
1 smallish spaghetti squash
2 c. Mushrooms, sliced
1 c. Chopped onion
1 c. Beef broth
1/4 c. Greek yogurt
1/4 c. Flour
1/2 tsp. Garlic salt
1/4 tsp. dill
1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste





  • Before you get going on the stroganoff, get your spaghetti squash in the microwave to cook.  (Click here  for instructions.)
  • Heat about 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large skillet.
  • In a plastic bag (I repurpose leftover produce bags from the grocery store), mix the flour, garlic salt, and about 1 tsp of black pepper together.  Dredge your meat in the flour mixture (click here for directions)and add the meat to the heated oil shaking off any excess flour beforehand.  Add your chopped onion at the same time, and stir this until the meat is browned.  


  • Turn  your burner down to medium and add in the beef broth. Adding liquid to a hot pan will make it steam like crazy as it deglazes the pan, so be prepared to be scraping the bottom of the pan as soon as you add the liquid to get all the bits unstuck and into your sauce!  (And remember, deglazing makes cleaning your pan super fast later on!)  Stir this well.  The flour from the meat will thicken the broth.  
  • Add in the dill and Dijon mustard and stir well.  Add in the Greek yogurt and stir well. Now you can season with salt and pepper and/or more garlic salt to taste.  
  • Add in the mushrooms, turn the mixture on low, and cover.  Let this simmer for about 10 minutes stirring once or twice.  Make sure it's not set too hot or it will burn.  






  • While this is simmering, slice open your squash and remove the seeds and scrape the 'spaghetti' out of the squash, because you're done with dinner!  Give the stroganoff one more stir, and you're ready to top your 'noodles' and enjoy your meal.  






This took me 15 minutes start to finish.  I was prepared for at least twice that amount of time and sort of surprised myself at how fast it was done! And Rik, who once won a stroganoff cook-off, deemed it absolutely delicious to the tune of zero leftovers.



Are you ready for the numbers?  Here ya go:

Time spent:  20 minutes
Serving size 1 c. squash topped with 1 c. Stroganoff
Calories    133
Total fat    6.3 g
Carbs        8.3 g
Fiber            2 g
Protein    11.6 g

Now, match that along side the frozen Skillet Masters Beef Stroganoff you can buy in the frozen foods section, and here's the comparison:
Serving size 2 cups
Calories:     640
Total fat:    30 g
Carbs         52 g
Fiber            2 g
Protein         16 g

Shocking, huh?!  And this is actually not bad for you: nothing processed, all fresh ingredients, especially if you're using a good-quality yogurt.  And I swear to you: Rik couldn't tell that it wasn't full of sour cream.  And if I can fool him, I'm pretty confident you won't notice the difference!  Give it a try and let me know how it turned out in the comments!  I thoroughly enjoy coming up with a recipe that is so good, you honestly can't tell it's healthy.  This would be one of them!


More to come this week including Chocolate Zucchini Bread that you can eat without guilt so stay tuned!