Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Short and Sweet

It's been a typically insane week, so I'm gonna throw tonight's post at you sort of like I threw dinner together.  :D

Had to make a quick grocery store run for the things I forgot in Sunday (mainly tortillas, honey, and spaghetti squash).  Here's the receipt:  
I spent $25.57.  This brings the weeks total up to $161.75, but remember that $30 plus was for all natural juices that Rik wanted which is an expense I don't usually put on the blog as it isn't part of our regular grocery bill.

Tonight's dinner was soft tacos, and sticking with the gluten-free theme this week (for me), I tried a different type of tortilla.  I did this only because whenever we've purchased the amazingly delicious, melt-in-your-mouth tortillas from the Mexican bakery down the road (you know..the ones that are still warm when you buy them and  which I can't resist eating at least 3 on the drive home that literally only takes me 5 minutes?) I knew I wouldn't have the wherewithal to eat a single one for dinner and then toss out whatever remained so I don't succumb to the next 2 days of tortillas warmed in the microwave and then slathered with butter...  

Anyway, I honestly can't say I endorse the gluten free version as, though they didn't taste particularly 'healthy', they didn't particularly taste like anything and they had the consistency of the plastic tortillas I would imagine might come in the Little Tykes (Multicultural) Kitchen (if such a thing existed)...you know...those little plastic kitchens with the plastic food that we used to play with as kids?  Yahhhh....so there's that...


Anyway, here's the recipe: 

Turkey Soft Tacos With Vegan Guacamole

Tacos
1 lb. raw turkey burger or ground turkey
1 package Taco Seasoning and water (follow directions)
Tortillas of your choosing
Sliced lettuce (I was out of lettuce so used thinly shredded Napa cabbage)
Sliced tomatoes
Diced onion
Shredded cheddar cheese
Plain Greek yogurt

Cook the turkey until done.  Drain it well, preferably into the dogs bowl (there isn't much to drain) and stir it into half a cup of her food because then she'll love you forever and ever instead of just forever!  

Mix your package of taco seasoning as directed into the well-drained and cooked turkey and heat it until it's well combined.  




Slice up your veges.  I heat the tortillas in the microwave and then make the burritos after they were warm.

Layer the turkey on the bottom, topped with cheese so it melts nicely, then lettuce, tomato, onion, guacamole and sour cream.  

Feel free to switch this up with whatever you happen to have on hand.  I was unsure about using turkey burger rather than hamburger, but it cooked up nicely and I couldn't tell a huge difference other than it wasn't as greasy. :)




Guacamole
2 avocados (only because they had to be used today)
A good dollop of Vegenaise
Garlic salt
Chopped tomato
Chopped onion

Peel and pit the avocados saving the pits.  Smash the avocados well.

Add in your dollop of Vegenaise, a sprinkle of garlic salt to taste, and a spoonful of chopped onion and tomato.  Stir it well.  

If you're not planning on eating it right away, put the pits back into the guacamole as they will keep it from turning brown (oxidizing).

Each burrito comes in at about 210 calories each (I'm averaging here).  

Here is our food for the day:  

RIK
Breakfast:  Oatmeal with brown sugar
Snack:  Oatmeal cupcakes to go, fresh strawberries and pineapple
Lunch:  4 oz of grilled steak, brown rice, and a Golden Delicious apple
Anabolic recovery drink post-workout
Dinner:  Turkey burritos on whole wheat gluten-free tortillas

ME
Breakfast:  coffee with homemade creamer (I know...I know...)
Lunch:  Brown rice with steamed asparagus and cheddar cheese
Snack:  2 Oh Mega Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies
Dinner:  Turkey burrito on a whole wheat gluten-free tortilla




The rice I cooked on Sunday turned into today's lunch which was a repeat of something I had last week but whose recipe I didn't post.  I took a 1 c. scoop of brown rice, broke a about 6 asparagus (they were super fat ones) into pieces and tossed them on top of the rice, then put the bowl in the microwave for 1.5 minutes, topped it with a small handful of sharp cheddar and a sprinkle of garlic salt, stirred it up and let the cheese melt and it was SO GOOD!  As in good enough for a side dish good to serve other people good!  There wasn't a ton of cheese in it, but it tasted like there was.  




And it took me only took me about 3 minutes to make!!!