Thursday, February 13, 2014

Love Your Heart

Sooooo...this week life sort of got in the way of my posting and not a lot of cooking has gone on here at Casa de Us.  Tuesday dinner was spent celebrating a dear friend's birthday at Red Lobster (I ordered the Maple Grilled Chicken, baked potato, and salad -- and then ate half,  Rik got a half-order of Shrimp Linguine, and we refrained from seconds on the absolutely amazing home made spice cake) and despite a bit of an overdose on Cheddar Bay Biscuits (omg...they're so delicious!!!), I think we did pretty well.  Wednesday night was spent working overtime, so dinner was gluten free pizza from Dominoes.  Yeah, we've fallen off the wagon a bit this week.  Tonight I'm firmly climbing back on though.  As much as I love 'free days' or those special occasions where you can justify stuffing your face with buttery, cheddary-cheesy biscuits, I notice that I sort of feel crappy for a few days afterwards.  And I'm noticing that since I've been trying to eat closer to the way I did on the Conscious Cleanse, that my failure to cut out gluten is apparently hindering my weight loss.  So tonight's dinner was adjusted to be gluten free.  Usually, my meat loaf includes bread crumbs.   But since, at least today, I ate completely gluten and sugar free, I didn't want to lose my progress today so it doesn't have bread.  The original recipe as taught to me in my early 20s by an old friend who grew up in the south, this was covered in bacon and then baked to crispy perfection with gravy made from the drippings.  Yeah.  That won't be happening, but damn was it delicious!

Here's a version that will be a little kinder to your heart.  And wait til you see the numbers!  I was shocked! Start to finish, this recipe took me 45 minutes.  That's from the time I opened the package of raw meat to the time we sat down.

Healthy(er) Meatloaf and Garlic Mashed Potatoes (that are really cauliflower)


Meatloaf
1 lb. hamburger
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 raw egg
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

In a medium bowl, add your chopped onion and seasonings to the raw burger along with a raw egg to hold it all together since we're not using breadcrumbs.  Mix this well with your hands.  




In a glass dish, smoosh it down into whatever shape you want.  Given the date and the fact that technically I think we can still be considered newlyweds since it hasn't been a year yet (and I still like him), I made ours into a heart.  Since I only used 1 lb of hamburger, the usual meatloaf shape just seemed like a brick, so I got creative.


Pop this in the oven and bake it for about 30 minutes.  This will of course depend on how thick you made your loaf.  

Mashed (Not) Potatoes
1 head of cauliflower
1 good sized clove of garlic
1/2 c. shredded cheddar
A good dollop of Greek yogurt
Salt and Pepper to taste (I used garlic salt)




While the meatloaf is cooking, cut up your head of cauliflower into smallish florets.  The smaller they are, the faster they're going to steam.  Put them into a steamer pan or basket along with the garlic.  About halfway through your meatloaf baking, put them on the stove to steam.  You'll want them to be super well steamed before you try to mash them.








Once they're super well steamed (you should be able to smash a test piece easily with a fork), dump them into a pan or bowl and mash them along with the now steamed garlic.  









When they're thoroughly mashed they look a bit like kernels of rice.  Add in your cheese, a nice big dollop of Greek yogurt and seasonings and stir it up good.  These cooled off super quick after I mashed them, and so I'd probably add in a step to reheat them once you've seasoned them. Another option would be to put them in a small casserole and toss it into the oven to bake just a little bit.  They would get a little bit crispy around the edges and taste delicious.













Pull your meatloaf out of the oven and drain it well, and you're ready to eat!






And here's the final product!  This was the first time I've made my meatloaf this way (healthier) and the first time I've ever tried mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes.  Honestly, it wasn't too bad!  


Here are the stats:  
Healthy(er) Meatloaf
1/4 of the loaf
Calories                    261
Potassium                17.3 mg
Carbs                        0.9 g
Protein                       21 g


Garlic Mashed (Not) Potatoes     
(1 c serving)

Calories                         53
Potassium                   60.2 mg
Carbs                           10.5 g
Fiber                              4.8 g
Protein                             4 g
Vitamin B6                 21.3%
Vitamin C                 148.3%
Iron                              4.7%
Thiamin                        7.3%
Zinc                             3.6%

Look at some of those numbers!  Holy cow!  Especially if you compare a cup of Betty Crocker Real Garlic and Cheddar mashed potatoes that clock in at 210 calories per serving and 10 grams of fat!!!  I don't generally like the taste of cauliflower, but this was really good.  I was pleasantly surprised.

Here's our food for the day:

RIK
Breakfast:  Oatmeal with brown sugar
Snack:  Protein shake
Lunch:  Chicken Salad in a whole wheat pita bread (made with grilled boneless skinless chicken breast, Dijon mustard, and Greek yogurt) and a hard boiled egg, pear
Snack:  Protein shake and an apple
Post-Workout:  Post-workout recovery drink
Dinner:  Meatloaf and Mashed Cauliflower

ME
Breakfast:  Bob's Gluten-Free Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal with honey and coffee with homemade creamer (going to try making it with maple syrup this weekend as all other attempts have NOT been successful)
Lunch:  Leftover lentils from the other night
Snack:  Some raw hazelnuts and an apple with almond butter and honey
Dinner:  Meatloaf and Mashed Cauliflower

And a Happy Valentines Day to all of you wherever you are.  And whether or not this year finds you with a Valentine, don't forget to love yourself: today and every day.