Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Yummy Stuff To Fill In The Chinks

So if you've been around for any length of time, you know how much I love my sugar.  Lattes, ice cream, cookies, caramel...you name it, I love it.  Now that I'm back on the clean eating wagon though, evenings are the hardest.  About an hour after dinner, sitting watching TV or reading a book, and a horrible case of The Munchies seems to hit.  Every night like I'm on a timer.  

When My Person began eating clean, I came up with this recipe one night when he wanted something sweet but didn't want to break his day by indulging in a bowl of ice cream, and it's become that go-to staple when the nighttime munchies hit.  It's especially good considering it's about 15 degrees outside right now!  This recipe makes two 1-cup servings.  


Hot Chocolate You Won't Feel Guilty About
2 c. fat free/skim milk
1.5 Tbsp. raw cocoa powder (unsweetened)
25-30 drops of liquid stevia  

Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat stirring often.  You don't want it to boil.  
When the milk is warm, whisk in the unsweetened chocolate powder.  
Bring the milk to just the right temperature for you.  
Sweeten to taste using the liquid stevia.  I've found that the liquid seems much sweeter than the powdered, but the pic (above) shows the powdered kind I decided to try at my last grocery store visit.  I'll be returning to the liquid kind next time I go!  

This has about 179 calories, 16 g of protein, and 4 g of fat.  Remember, if you're eating clean, you need to make sure you're actually getting enough fat in your diet, and this is a delicious way to do that!  

Cheers!