Tuesday, January 28, 2014

You'd Think I Could Come Up With A Blog Title...

...but apparently I can't.  That and tonight's is gonna be short and sweet as I've got some cooking for fun to do!  Also, I just found out that I totally missed 2 of Rik's snacks and his recovery drink!  So yesterday (for him) should have looked more like today (for him).

Tonight I finished work and called the coolest parents in the world (mine) while I made some more Breakfast Oatmeal Cupcakes To Go for Rik to take with him on his trip (cuz I ate the last of them this morning for breakfast!), and got dinner on.  Check the link right up there.  These are super good, have about the same calories as a cup of oatmeal, and are completely sugar-free.  They're delish.  (And Chocolate Covered Katie ROCKS.  I want to be like her when I grow up). :D

Breakfast Oatmeal Cupcakes To Go

My Tuesday Lunch!
While these were in the oven, I got the chicken grilled that we bought on Sunday as I finished the last of the Thursday-grilled chicken for lunch today, which btw took as long as it would take a normal person to scoop about a cup of barley into a bowl, break some raw asparagus on top, and slice up a piece of chicken breast and then nuke it for 30 seconds.  I coulda drizzled it with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon, but I was really busy at lunch today and just did the basics.  But it was really tasty and really filling for a total of 331 calories.  I totally didn't even do a snack this afternoon because of it!  Actually, I'm sorta lying a little bit as Rocket finished off the last few bites of chicken and barley


Anyway, here's the day:



RIK

Breakfast:  1 c. Oatmeal 1 T. Honey
Snack 1:  Golden delicious apple
Snack 2:  Protein shake same as yesterday
Lunch:  Banana, 1 Flame-grilled Boca Burgers on multi-grain Sandwich Thins
Snack 3:  1 c. low-fat cottage cheese
Snack 4:  Protein shake
Snack 5: Bartlett pear
Post-workout recovery drink
Dinner:  Chicken Barley Vegetable soup  

ME
Breakfast: 2 of the small Breakfast Oatmeal Cupcakes To Go and 3 cups of coffee with homemade creamer
Lunch:  1 cup of barley, 1 cup of asparagus, and half a grilled chicken breast
Afternoon Snack:  Tazo Chai with skim milk
Dinner:  2 cups of Chicken Barley Vegetable Soup

Here's the soup:

I.  

Chicken Barley Vegetable Soup

4 cups water
1 chicken breast, chunked  
1 c. cooked barley
2 Tbsp. 'Better Than Bullion' chicken base (you can just use extra chicken stock or dry bullion in place of this.  I'm just preferential to this as it's restaurant grade and I think the taste is better) :)
2 Tbsp dry chicken bullion
1 c. sliced carrots
1 c. chopped celery, I like to use the top section of the celery stalk for soup.  The leafy part.  (see picture left)
1 c. chopped onion
1 Tbsp. Sage
1 Tbsp. Rosemary
1/2 tsp. black pepper
Salt to taste

I.  Put the water on to boil in a medium saucepan. Dilute your chicken stock or bullion while you're chopping the veges and the chicken.   (And I don't forget to share a carrot with The Rocket Dog who waits patiently for just such an event.  It's like paying the piper) :) Add the chicken, carrots, celery, and onion to the boiling water.  Add in the black pepper, sage, and rosemary. 

II.
II.  Let this stuff simmer for about 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Once the chicken is cooked, you can start to taste the broth and see what it's missing.  After it simmered for about 20 minutes, add in the peas (I used frozen) and the cooked barley.  If you're using dry barley, add it in at the very beginning with the raw chicken and veges.  I used cooked barley for this because I already had it in the fridge and we aren't eating it as fast since I'd made it specifically for the Warm Chicken and Barley Salad that I'm still missing mint for the sauce, so we have extra that I don't want to go bad.  
III.

III.  The frozen peas will cool the soup down enough to make it totally edible right now.  The barley makes the soup broth creamy, and the chunky vegetables make this a totally hearty winter dinner.

Start to finish, the meal took about 40 minutes (that includes grilling the left over chicken breasts that I didn't use for the soup which means we now have grilled chicken breast in the fridge ready for a snack or lunch addition).

Nutritional information: (Thank you Rik!) the entire pot of soup has about 800 calories which means about 80-90 or so calories per 1 cup serving.  AND, there's no fat other than what was in the bullion.

AND you can easily make this vegetarian or even vegan if you so choose and it would still be fantastic.

AND you've gotten MORE than half your daily requirements for vegetables in this single meal. :)

AND your tummy is warm.  

AND you're full.  

AND you haven't destroyed your kitchen cooking (like I'm about to do when I go make my sugar free version of Chocolate Covered Katies Healthy Nutella!)



ANNNNDDDD (best of all), you probably still have calories left over if you want to make some popcorn later!  

See you tomorrow!