Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Happiness 101

Summer is slowly making its way closer and the days are longer and a little bit warmer, though crazy Colorado change of season is in top form with 70-degree weather yesterday and a blizzard today with subzero windchill and humidity that will freeze you to the bone!


Over the weekend, I went through the boxes of shoes that I have stored in my office, all of my summer sandals and wedges and adorable pastels and open-toes, boxing up my winter boots and darker colors to trade places until fall comes and I can pull them out with the same happy abandon that I went through the boxes this time.  It's like getting new shoes all over again, opening up last years box to see what's inside and remembering when you purchased that particular pair and how much you love them.

Shoes have really been evolving the past few years.  The classic patent pumps that we saw our mothers wear, so simple and beautifully timeless, have come a long way, particularly in the last few years!


I remember as a child in the 70s when the chunky platforms came out, and my very stylish Aunt Cindie who lived with us briefly while attending high school, would walk out of the bathroom to meet her date, and she always looked so gorgeous...so incredibly glamorous!   I couldn't wait until I could grow up to be just like her.  I remember the shoes the most.






This year we've seen the cool new trend of sole-painting, like these gorgeous 'Taylor Says' Freddie platforms with sequins and an amazing print on the bottom that I received from My Person for Christmas and still sit, pristine in their box, because I haven't yet found an outfit worthy of them!



And our classic pumps are getting all kinds of new makeovers in the form not only of sequins and brightly colored soles, but also accessories all of their own like these adorable Bachata 'Promise' shoe with detachable bow, available at Heels.com!

Crazy prints and colors never seen before, like Iron Fist Lovelace Peep-toe platform in brightest green!


 To the completely outrageous, like these amazing works of art inspired by sculptor  Nuam Gabo in collaboration with an artchitect named Santiago Calatrava and designer Tea Petrovic, prototype shoes that are actually works of art in and of themselves.



Called "The Exoskeletan Collection", Tea Petrovic comments on his designs in a short article at ArcH20 using "artistic, geometric, and mathematical values" in the design of his shoes.


The collection is really quite amazing and I hope you'll take the time to check out the website and the article with the links above.

More and more, shoes are becoming an expression of who we are.  Bound by the conventions of the workplace, the cookie-cutter power suit, and the long pencil skirt, shoes offer the opportunity for whimsy and self-expression, a bright pop of personality in a sometimes otherwise uninteresting picture.

If you haven't already, go out of your way a little bit and choose a pair of shoes that appeals to your wilder side.  There are SO many fun shoe sites out there just waiting for your love.  I've provided a list below.

If you're not quite ready for the wild-and-crazy (below), try something a little more tame like a bright red patent leather with bow (above), gorgeously retro, and perfect with that black pencil skirt and white blouse.


I on the other hand am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the above black and cobalt beauty any day now to be paired with my black power suit and cobalt chiffon blouse!

Try something new!  The colors out there right now are just amazing, and you can ease into the brightness trend slowly and with immense style like the perfect wedge below, another recent addition t my closet.
No matter what you choose, you never regret new shoes.  They put a spring in your step and a smile on your face and can turn a ho-hum outfit into something spectacular.  At least go browse around!  I've included sales in the list below, so you have no excuse not to treat yourself!

Go!  Go now!  It's free to look!