Thursday, January 24, 2013

This Week in Fashion

With the inauguration now behind us but still making news headlines, regardless of your politics, you've got to admit that Michelle Obama has some class (or at the very least, an amazing stylist!)
picture:  globalpost.com

picture:  helloonline.com
I've enjoyed the pictures of her in the fashion blogs this week in her many outfits, and this custom-made Thom Browne silk jacquard coat (left) in particular has caught my eye.  Can't wait until copy cats begin to replicate this one, and hope that I can find one in my price range!  I love how she's paired it with the subdued suede boots, and then has that pop of gorgeous plum with the gloves.  And I can't say I follow political fashion, but I'm really loving what she's done with her hair.  The bangs are fantastic!!!






picture: Shefinds.com
And no matter which side of the lip-syncing debate you fall, Beyonce's velvet and chiffon Emilio Pucci gown was to die for.  I love everything about this dress.  And like Anderson Cooper stated about the whole pre-recorded national anthem, "We got to look at Beyonce's beautiful face and hear Beyonce's beautiful voice singing the national anthem.  There is one thing we should be saying today, and that's 'Thank you, Beyonce'.  Francis Scott Key himself would send her a fruit basket".  Well-said mon frere...well-said.


E News Online





And while we're talking celebrity fashion, I love that Lucy Liu had the ovaries to wear this dress to the Golden Globes last week!!

Not only is Lucy, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful women alive today, this gown was taking a BIG fashion risk. And I've read more than one fashion review that used words like 'a fashionable Victorian couch' and 'the drapes from Sound of Music'.  But I personally love that she wore something like this and took a risk.

She looks absolutely amazing in this dress (as she does in anything she happens to throw on!).  The pale blue sets off her perfect skin, and her simply-coiffed black hair down one shoulder pulls in the darker colors of the print to perfection.

LOVE it.






Speaking of love though, I have a love/hate relationship with brown.  Actually, if I'm honest, it's mostly hate.  But My Person swears I wear too much black, and brown is an acceptable workplace color.  I don't know why I don't like it.  I own perfectly gorgeous brown suit that I only wear rarely, like today (see Polyvore set below).  But lately I've seen fairly monochromatic outfits in the magazines, like these below taken from that fabulous site SheFinds.com, and it sorta makes me rethink my "brown issue".


The cool chicks at SheFinds have put together a list of 10 cool leather jackets to have this spring, and these three in various shades of tan are on their list.  You can click the link above to read the full article.